Hosting and Design
HOSTING :: We can handle your domain registration. Or, we recommend www.Hover.com
HOSTING :: You "rent" space from us. Your Basic (LW100 package) site space comes with:
- 100 MB space (usually plenty unless uploading lots of photos and audio/video -- we have other options for that though)
- 10 e-mail accounts (important to use a site-related e-mail that people can remember. It can go to whoever in your company or group is handling the e-mails)
- E-mail forwarding (so e-mail from the site could be forwarded to your personal e-mail without publishing personal e-mail addresses on the site)
- Webmail (so you can retrieve your e-mail on the web anywhere)
- 10 e-mail "chat" lists (based on the program, "Mailman"). These have an advantage over groups sponsored by Yahoo or other “free” groups – no ads!
- automatic spam filter, "Spam Assassin" that can be set to automatically discard spam. I recommend setting it that way.
- Metadata -- that's the description and keywords that help search engines find your site
- Site statistics including what search string your readers are finding the site with
- Regular redundant backups of the entire site *
- Password protected sections (for example, if you want to upload documents for the internal use only)
- Tech support on server-related matters and program-related questions
- cPanel access and Softaculous program installer.
LW200 package includes 1GB space and 2GB bandwidth, 20 e-mail accounts, 20 mailing lists, and 4 databases besides the above features.
* We store backups in the office away from the site server computers. We will be happy to copy to a CD and mail to you at additional charge.
** Beginning November 1, 2012 for our full-service clients we've set up weekly backups that store in "the cloud."
Also beginning November 1, 2012, we've put improved security measures in place.
Content Management System (Joomla or WordPress), database-driven site frameworks with vast capacity for add-ons. Go to the links for examples.
- consultation on your needs and wishes
- template-based design to give your organization consistency – Individual and highly customized. No two alike!
- custom icon (that tiny logo that shows up next to your site name in the browser)
- static front page (www.rodeomotorsports.com) or dynamic -- latest articles float to the top (www.midamericauua.org)
- user editing of articles with easy front-end log-in (www.rapidprint1.com, click the "About Us" link and look for the login at the lower right)
- breadcrumbs (indicators for what page you are on in the site, such as home>FAQs>General) (www.emerginguu.org)
- embed video content from YouTube, Blip.tv and more (www.midwestuuleadership.org)
- polls (simple surveys)
- RSS feeds -- readers can subscribe to be notified when a page has new content (www.midwestuuleadership.org)
- can display "popular" or "latest news" article list on front page (www.uuwr.org)
- search box that includes all articles, documents, and calendar entries
- PDF, PRINT and E-MAIL button functions on each article/page
- social media share buttons (http://chalicesparx.org)
- search optimization: search-engine-friendly URLs with keywords instead of numbers. For example, www.midamericauua.org/ra rather than http://www.midamericauua.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=55&Itemid=252
- One hour’s training on basic article adding and editing
- blog (www.cakesforthequeenofheaven.org/blog, or www.uuwfblog.org)
- calendar with latest events module on front page (www.midamericauua.org, left side, www.buuf2.org, right side)
- automatic slideshow (http://ronoralodge.com)
- audio/video (http://www.buuf2.org/about-us/sermons or http://www.mwls.org/youth)
- rotating banner ads for related organizations or important links (www.jpdwr.org)
- random quotes module that changes the quote each time page is viewed. (http://www.uuwomensconnection.org – on the top), www.ronoralodge.com - on the left)
- documents available to Registered users only (More documents are available when logged in)
- Set up storage and transfer of private documents with free or paid subscription to Drive HQ or Dropbox. It's easier and more user-friendly than just putting the documents in a password-protected directory if you have many or large documents.
- sitemap (a listing of all pages on your site - useful when site is very complex and helpful in getting attention from search engines like Google)(www.uumn.org)
- forms such as RFQ, including many custom input fields (http://www.rapidprint1.com/index.php/Request-A-Quote).
- sign-up or survey forms (http://www.rainbowsolutions.us/survey60s)
- reports show data from your forms in an Excel spreadsheet
- “reCaptcha” security system to prevent spammers from inundating your e-mail box.
- NEWSFLASHES – random short articles (http://www.rapidprint1.com/ - Look at the product ad on the right near the top - click your “refresh” button and a different one will appear)
- Two additional hours training on article editing or other features
- User “How-to” documents visible when logged in.
Available at additional charge:
- custom logo design or other graphic art/photo reworking (www.nosilentwitness.org)
- different background photos on each page (www.rodeomotorsports.com)
- photo gallery (there are several versions used here on Ladyweave.com) or linked with your offsite photo albums in Picasa etc (http://www.mwls.org/mwls/photo-albums)
photo special effects like photo enlarging pop-up windows (www.nosilentwitness.org)
- e-newsletter and mailing list (www.cmwd-uua.org, see the top menu "News" with several newsletter archives listed and a sign-up form)
- simple shopping carts with PayPal (www.uuwr.org - see the "Store")
- Custom shopping carts and auction software (www.finetooljournal.net)
- Event registration connected to PayPal credit card processing (www.midamericauua.org), with extensive reporting capabilities. I've put together a comparison of some available registration systems.
- Custom front page (www.sagewateryoga.com) could have flash animation or music
- Language translation modules (www.ialrw.org)
- Content updates. When you’re too busy to edit web text. By annual package or hourly. We'll want to make a guess at how often the site will need updates, what kind and how many.
- Training. Simple edits of existing articles or adding calendar entries can be done by a member of the group. We're happy to train people on the basics, which can be done on a phone conference call in about an hour. More than half of our clients do their own article and event updating and adding.
- Database design and implementation. By quotation only after consultation.
Many more features are available. Call me for a guided tour! Then let's discuss your website wishes.